Re: [TCLUG:3420] MIPS is dead

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> I think Intel is reaching for the high-end workstation market.
>
> I guess it depends on what you call high-end :-)

Precisely. Their highest-end product, the Xeon, doesn't come too close to
the MIPS R10000 or the UltraSPARC. Furthermore, other design components
like the system bus and I/O subsystems tend to be higher-end on Sun and
SGI (and other) systems, and I think that stuff is a lot of what
distinguishes 'high-end' from 'commodity'.

As for the SGI Visual Workstations, along with SGI's bus architecture and
graphics system, I'm sure they're faster than the 02s, and may even
approach the next model up (Octane?). (Don't know about that, though.)
Does that mean the Visual Workstations are 'high-end'? I tend to think so,
but that the CPU is the weak link in those systems.

Of course, I consider my NeXTStation to be 'high-end', so what does that
tell you. :^)

And it was...err...7 years ago... heh

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/