Re: [TCLUG:3420] MIPS is dead

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Serge M. Egelman wrote:

> by high-end I mean Intel isn't going to have anything as nice as an Octane or an
> Origin server in the near future.

To be honest I think the primary reason SGI has been hurt so badly by
Intel is from products light Lightwave and the PC port of 3dStudio Max,
et al.  SGI's primary market was/is  in graphics workstations and most of
the 3d artists (sometime involuntarily due to the PHB factor) have
switched to NT as thier platform of choice.  Thier niche was comfy, they
felt unthreatened, and then were invaded by commodity hardware at a much
lower price point than they could reach.  They had a few initiatives over
the last <2 years to put out cheaper products but I think they lost so
much momentum that they can't recover.  I know if I could get a MIPs with
one of SGI's GL graphic accelerators at the same price level as a PII I'd
be there in a nanosecond.

Jim Raney
Sysadmin, Citilink Internet, Inc.