RE: [TCLUG:3420] MIPS is dead

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Christopher Palmer wrote:
> What I was wondering is, how do they get >4-way Pentium II machines to
> work? I thought the PII was inherently limited to no more than 4 CPUs per
> machine? (If you look at <www.dg.com>, they advertise servers with more
> than 4 PIIs.)

Intel's overview of the Pentium II
(http://www.intel.com/design/PentiumII/prodbref/) states that it has
"glueless" support for two CPU's. Anything more requires external support,
just like you can build multi-CPU machines from CPU's that were not
designed with that in mind at all.

The support chips aparently have to support the extra CPU's. Using Intel's
product selector, I find that the 450NX PCIset allows up to 8 Pentium II
Xeon CPU's. I'd guess DG made their own custom support for their 64 Xeon
(drool) machine, with lots of support from Intel.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>