Stuck with Motif?

> Is Motif really all that dead? Even among 'big-name' commercial vendors?

I wish it was ;-)  Mozilla is the biggest program (that I know of) so
far to move over to GTK -- And that was largely pushed because of the
open-source model.  A lot of people hated using Lesstif, plus there were
incompatibilities with the various versions of Motif.  (Unfortunately,
that may become a problem in the future for GTK too.. :-P )

> > If a desire to have an official standard widget set was a goal, then I'd
> > only hope that GTK+ was considered simply because it is flexible enough
> > and tested.
>
> And free. :^) (I'm still a little wary of Qt.)

I'm amazed at how many different 'bindings' there are for GTK.  I've
personally used bindings for Scheme and Perl, and they've worked pretty
well.  They may not be quite as full-featured as the C-based GTK, but I
think it says a lot about GTK and it's future.

> Still, the only commercial vendor to take up GTK is Netscape.

I would expect _new_ software for Linux (probably ported over from
Windows) will likely use GTK (I hope).  The vendors that have made Unix
versions of their software for a long time probably won't be as willing
to move to GTK.  Those vendors have invested a lot of time and money in
the Motif versions, and probably don't want to start that over again.
Also, GTK's availability is quite high on Linux, but probably not nearly
as widespread on other Unix systems.  I highly doubt that vendors would
like to deal with having two branches of their products -- Motif and
GTK.

Anyway, better quit muttering now....
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.0-pre6