Re: [TCLUG:3463] Can linux do this?

Ben Luey wrote:

> Is linux capable of doing this:
>
> Have one server that has all users/passwords stored. When you logon to any
> computer on the network it does a remote login with the server. This
> should include the root account and the passwords should be sent in some
> secure fassion. The linux workstations would have /home and maybe /usr
> mounted remotely and have permissions work with the remote logins. Again,
> the mounting should be secure. Sychronization with files: Ex: /bin and
> /lib would be on every computer but once a day they would check the server
> for newer versions. This way you could update a package on one computer
> and have it go to the other computers (update package on a workstation, if
> all goes well, copy it to the server and then have the workstations do an
> update on their directories)

Something else you may want to take a look at is LDAP (Lightweight
Directory Access Protocol).  This is the protocol that Netscape uses for
its directories.  The database is capable of being extended to include
passwd type information and there is an extension to add SSL
communication to the server.

I have not yet implemented it anywhere and I can't tell you much more
than what I have already.  You may want to check out
http:www.openldap.org.  There also used to be information somewhere on
http://www.rage.net, perhaps at http://www.rage.net/ldap, but I couldn't
connect this morning to make sure.

Hope this helps.