Re: [TCLUG:3548] xdm

Usually when I get that, it's because my account is messed up.  It
might be, for example, I'm using /usr/local/bin/bash instead of /bin/bash
as my shell.  Of course, there's no way for my session to continue.  So it
ends the session and returns to a login prompt.  It seems to behave
similarly whether I'm at the xdm screen or the console.

Can you switch to a virtual terminal and log in as a different user, or as
root, then fix your account?