Re: [TCLUG:3548] xdm

Don't forget that RedHat uses a fancy-dancy Window manager script thingy
that involves multiple files and barely concurs with conventional
xdm-login methods.  RedHat utilizes a script called Xclients which is
basically a number of case statements which get their arguement from a
.wm_style directory in your home dir.  Whatever the contents of .wm_style
is will determine the window manager you wish to run.  The Xclients script
is located by default in /etc/X11/xinit and is identical to your .xsession
file.  These generally get preference at log in time if you do not have a
.Xclients file in your home directory.  Make a symlink from .Xclients to
.xsession or move .xsession to .Xclients and add the desired window
manager name to your .wm_config file (kde isn't supported under the RedHat
scheme, btw).  To make it work, add the following case to your .Xclients
file:

    case "$WMSTYLE" in
        kde*)
            # They want to use kde.
            if [ -x /opt/kde/bin/startkde ]; then
               export PATH=/opt/kde/bin:$PATH
               env > "$HOME"/Xrootenv.0
               /opt/kde/bin/startkde
            fi
            ;;
    esac

I should also say that this only works under RedHat.

Peter Lukas