Re: [TCLUG:3635] Hub and IP question

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Lawrence L. Crisp wrote:

[snip branching your dorm Ethernet connection]

> Would this call for IP masquerading?

Precisely.

> What the heck is IP masquerading?

Every other OS besides Linux calls is 'Network Address Translation', or
NAT.  What it does is let you run a subnet behind a proxy; you can
turn one IP into a gateway of sorts to a whole network. All of your
machines will haec network access, via the proxy machine that gets your
real IP address.

> The system that will need access to the U network is a former PB (groan)
> running Win95 (big groan) and Redhat 5.0 (Woohoo!).  The other three
> systems are Dell 486's that will be running RH5.1 and one of them will
> likely have a dual boot with PC-DOS 6.3 on it.  If possible, I'd like to
> be  able to access the other systems from PC-DOS as well.

What you'll want to do is dedicate one machine entirely to Linux, have it
run IP masquerading, and leave it up all the time. (If it goes down your
other machines will lose their Internet access, although they'll still be
able to talk to each other on the local subnet.)

All I can tell you is to read the HOWTO(s). I've never done this myself
(never had a need until just recently).

Good luck! :^)

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/