japanese typing

My japanese class is using a web-based message board to post messages in
japanese (kanji and everything). I can read the documents fine in japanese
with netscape 4.5 on japanese character set (although the font is sorta
hard to read, so if anyone knows of a replacement...). The problem is that
I can't post in japanese. They showed us how to post on a mac and we just
had to select japanese from a list of lanaguages and then when we typed in
netscape (and other programs) it was japanese (we could control what kanji
it showed, etc). How do I do this under linux and netscape 4.5?

Thanks,

Ben

P.S. How can I see what fonts are installed on my computer (not ttf) and
how would I add a new font -- I'd like to find a better japanese font?

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

Why throw money at problems?  That is what money is for.  -- Kurt Vonnegut