Vanilla List Maling List Archive

[VANILLA-L:1091] Re: Problem with 2.8pl0

Jeffrey Nowakowski writes:

> By default optimization is turned off if you don't supply the -O flag,
> isn't it?

Not necessarily - however, you can be sure by using the "-O0" flag,
which is the implied default if you're using the "-g" flag.

> The -g is a separate issue.  A default of having the debugging symbols
> makes sense to me, since disk space is hardly a problem and the added
> benefit of being able to track down problems is worth it.  Whoever is
> installing it can change that if they like, by I think the default
> should be -g.

Yes.  Anybody compiling anything should use "-g -Wall" (or the
equivalent) until they're really happy with the results.  Warnings are
useful.  All warnings should be resolved, just in case.  After running
this executable for a while, then you might try "-O" instead to see what
breaks (often lots of stuff, unfortunately).

--
       Alec Habig, Boston University Particle Astrophysics Group
			   habig@budoe.bu.edu

+