Vanilla List Maling List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2213] Problem with recent patch to update.c

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 06:09:41PM -0500, David Swasey wrote:
> There is a minor problem with Dave's recent patch to update.c.  On redhat
> linux 4.2, SA_NOCLDWAIT is not defined and the struct sigaction field
> he names sa_sigaction is called sa_restorer.

That's really funny.  SA_NOCLDWAIT is part of POSIX signals (as well as most
modern SysV that support sigaction).  I thought Linux was supposed to be
POSIX complaint.  Go figure.

I would grep the /usr/include/*/* for SA_NOCLDWAIT and see how it is defined.
You may need something like -D_POSIX_SIGNALS to get it.  Perhaps RedHat 4.2
is outdated and POSIX signals are supported on later versions of RedHat.
Worst case, you can just #ifndef linux around the sigaction stuff.

> >Setting  SIGCHLD  to SIG_IGN provides automatic reaping of
> >child processes.

This works for update.c but not for newstartd.c, because newstartd.c has
a signal handler (so you can't use SIG_IGN).

> I can also report that there have been no netrek-related zombies on
> pickled.

Sounds like old SysV behavior.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2