Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3139] GNU make required

On Mon, 8 May 2000, James Cameron wrote:
> Two people have written to me in the past week who have experienced
> trouble building the Vanilla package under OpenBSD or FreeBSD.

I had that problem too, when I built chaos.eic.net which is FreeBSD.  I think
there were a few include problems, and a struct sigaction difference.

For most packages, the Makefile calls submakes via $(MAKE), which can be set
to gmake, or what I do for SMP parallel builds, "make -j3".

My standard configure usage is something like:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686" MAKE="make -j3" ./configure

> Have configure check for gmake and use it?  How?

Can't tell you that, I hate autoconf.