Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3139] GNU make required

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 08:11:48AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> Two people have written to me in the past week who have experienced
> trouble building the Vanilla package under OpenBSD or FreeBSD.
>
> The problem is one we know of; sinclude is not recognised by their
> default "make", but is by "gmake", but if they use "gmake" the top level
> Makefile forks a "make".
>
> What is the "correct" solution?

Use $(MAKE) instead of "make" in the Makefiles.

> Have configure check for gmake and use it?  How?

Complain to the BSD make people to add the sinclude directive.  :)

We can replace "sinclude" with "include" and bundle a dummy dependency
file instead.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2