Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3160] Developers Must Play

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:32:11AM -0400, Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:
> A way around this would be to define a cambot interface that clients
> could use (like plugins for Netscape).  Would require a lot of thought
> to do it right.  I don't have time for that.

Another suggestion ... code in a system() call on a per-frame basis on
COW playback that will run an external program ... then on a server we
could run a virtual X server, capture the window, encoded it as GIF, and
make a series of frames for delivery by HTTP on demand.

Just imagine people stepping through an INL/DL game during a post-game
discussion and analysis.

Or add window-to-png code to COW, or replace the x11window.c with a
cgiwindow.c ... ideas ideas, sigh.

I also had a version of xsg that wrote a separate message file with
frame numbers for the recording it made.  On our LAN we then had a
CGI script that presented the message file as a series of hyperlinks
to another CGI script which would launch xsg to the client at that
point in the recording.  Clearly I never put it into CVS, though I know
I have it on a backup CD.  I mention this to encourage similar work
on cambot; to produce a message log with frame numbers for CGI stuff.

--
James Cameron   mailto:quozl@us.netrek.org   http://quozl.us.netrek.org/