Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3160] Developers Must Play

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Tom Holub wrote:

> I would expect netrek movies to compress extremely well; 95% of the pixels
> are the same from frame to frame.
>  -Tom

I'm wondering if we can actually find a standard codec to do this well,
without resorting to gzipping the results.

Anyways, I think animated gifs are supported by more browsers... Also,
Adrian Moore took my 2mb gif and used a utility from
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gifcon.html#download to shrink it down
to 607k (up as Supercompressed_agridrop.gif). This program doesn't seem to
be free though, and is Windows only.

Anyways, I agree that using a Java viewer or whatever to view the entire
game is better. You can change points of view, go backwards, pause, etc.
But having an easy way to make short clips would be great for tutorials or
perhaps for team websites (maybe people will have an incentive to actually
make a team site if they can stick up all their cool plays from the
season).

- Karthik