[VANILLA-L:1456] Re: [VANILLA-L:1455] Re: Discussion

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 02:30:41PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > But we can't make the current source base a part of the GNU software
> > library because of the GPL issue.
>
> I don't disagree, just that I'm not qualified to speak on the subject.
> I don't know enough yet about GPL and the copyright of the extisting
> Netrek code.
>
> For what it is worth, gum is GPL.  ;-)

:)

Well, to sum it up in two sentences, GPL places more restrictions on the
software than the current copyrights included in the various Netrek
sources [GPL has more conditions for distribution, copying and
modification].  In some cases, the Netrek copyright is more restrictive
[the contributor prohibits commercial use of the software, which is
permitted under GPL].

I doubt that past authors or contributors would care, but you'd never
know.  To be sure, we would need permission from all listed contributors
to place their contributions under GPL.  Otherwise, the source code in
conflict needs to be excised or rewritten.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2
+