On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:53:35AM -0500, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
> Concerning kismet... I can't get it to work reliably with my prism2.5 card.
> To make it work at all I have to run 'prism2_monitor <channel>' on the
> channel I want to sniff on.  It will then sniff on the channel I select, but
> no others.  If I run the script and specify a new channel, it will start
> sniffing on the new channel, but stop on the first channel.  Therefore, I
> have to manually cycle through all the channels.  Additionally, it sometimes
> stops working on all channels and I have to restart card services via
> '/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart'.  What gives?
>
> I am using:
>     kernel 2.4.7-10
>     Redhat 7.2
>     kismet 1.4.2
>     pcmcia-cs 3.1.33
>     wlan-ng 0.1.10
>     Linksys WPC11 v2.5
>     Dell Inspiron 3200 PII 266Mhz
>
> Mike

This is because Kismet doesn't do any channel hopping itself, you need
to use either the included scripts (prism2_hopper, etc) or run something
like prismstumbler in the background that hops channels.

This is all in the documentation, kismet is a great program.

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203