Jon Kotek wrote:
> server.  I am going to push the cisco gear since it can run as a repeater if
> I need to, otherwise if the runs of cat5 are fairly spread out I would be
> able to run a cheaper solution (WAP11) and go with MAC filtering with WEP.

Watch out for repeating - it can flush performance right down the
toilet. Lots more contention, lots more hidden-node - think about
using cts/rts in a configuration with that much opportunity for
hidden-node (might be a good idea if the RF environment sucks
anyway.)

> Now my other question is in using say a WAP11 AP would that work with roaming
> (I am assuming that they want to promote access from all conference rooms)
> and still using MAC filtering??  Would I need to update all AP's (I am doing
> a WAG of 4 or 5 per floor) that could turn into an admin headache.  Otherwise

That would suck somewhat. I'm fairly sure you can do the MAC table update
via snmp, so it could be automated using your favourite snmp toolkit. I
don't think linksys have published an enterprise mib, but I'm fairly
sure it could be reverse engineered from snmpwalk & ethereal.

Of course, you'd need to ensure that the "backbone" was 100% wired
for mac filtering to be at all useful, otherwise the snmp read/write
community string will get sent over the air, which makes an attack
where someone added their own MAC semi-trivial - either that or accept
the risk of that happening.

Be aware that WAP-11's are very inferior to Cisco APs, in terms of
RF performance (there's at least one person I know of on the list
who did a linksys-for-cisco replacement, and can vouch for the
vastly reduced coverage/performance - and some additional issues
that have eventually been smoothed out by firmware upgrades..)
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634