On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:57:52PM -0500, Chris Elmquist wrote:

> well, I am sure this is an issue where YMMV.  I have had two different
> 2.4 GHz phones... a Panasonic and a Sony... and both completely wiped
> out my 802.11b network whenever the phone(s) were off-hook.  You could
> get some improvement with a huge seperation between the handset and the
> wireless node but it was IMPOSSIBLE to use the 802.11b LAN in a laptop
> while simultaneously talking on the cordless phone.
>
> I could watch the signal meter on the Orinoco client app and
> as soon as the phone went off hook, the signal meter went to zero
> in a heartbeat.  There was no half-power or partly degraded link...
> that baby went to absolute zero instantly.

yikes! i've actually attempted to cause interference with my AP by placing
the phone (off-hook) right next to the AP, then again right next to one
of the client cards, no degredation whatsoever. (According to the
noise/signal/quality meters) Searching for the model # for my phone
actually found this PPT presentation:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/15/pub/2001/Jan01/01084r0P802-15_TG2-IEEE-802.11b-and-Bluetooth-Coexistence-Testing-Results.ppt

Yes, OpenOffice can read this =)

Interesting stuff.