you're making the assumption that the router in question was receiving
a full Internet BGP feed.  i believe that mike is referring to the
mcia.org router which was announcing local networks only between the
local ISPs.  as such the requirements were the respective prefix
announcements only.  roughly 90 odd routes.

even w/the most aggressive route filtering a 2501 is not going to be
able to keep up with the processing requirements to handle a full feed
these days.

it does bear noting that unless you're interested in transport to
these network locations only, you're not going to be able to select the
optimal route out of the network to destinations which you're not
receiving prefix infomration for.

put another way - you'd be able to tell what your best route to
sihope, visi, real-time, insert local isp here, is.  but  you would
not be able to know what the best route to /. is.

this would require us to get an AS number (or make sure that we can
coordinate with the upstreams to use an appropriate private AS
number) as well, which isn't so much of a problem but it does beg the
question of who's the responsible party and what organization is there
for the coordination of these items?  btw - public AS numbers aren't
free the costs are pretty trivial but there is some cost associated
with it.

when last we saw our hero (Friday, Jul 26, 2002),
 Austad, Jay was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC