On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 11:56:19PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > 2610 can do this...
> >
> > Hell, I just decomissioned a 2501 that had 11 BGP peers doing only
> > local BGP networking, and that is in essence what would be required.
>
> So were you doing summarization on the upstream peers?  I don't
> think there's any way a 2501 could handle summarizing a full table
> itself, and it surely can't fit a whole table in memory.

Notice I said that it was 11 BGP peers doing only local BGP.

It is a peering point I run right now that I call the NIP or network
interchange point.

There is no Internet access offered, it is a pure local peering point.

Current size is:

nip-1.mpls>show ip bgp sum
BGP router identifier 209.98.0.128, local AS number 7461
BGP table version is 1056, main routing table version 1056
89 network entries and 128 paths using 12017 bytes of memory
21 BGP path attribute entries using 2396 bytes of memory
Dampening enabled. 0 history paths, 0 dampened paths
27 received paths for inbound soft reconfiguration
BGP activity 231/142 prefixes, 457/329 paths

Now'days, though, the peer count is down as ISPs move onto the borg or
become direct customers of ours :(

Current system, though, is now a Cisco 4700M with 64MB of RAM.

Anyone can connect, only requires the entity to provide their own
connectivity, usually FR is just fine, but we do have one peer that
brought their own PtP into our space.

Peering good, I like'em peering.

--
Mike Horwath           IRC: Drechsau         drechsau at Geeks.ORG
Home: 763-540-6815  1901 Sumter Ave N, Golden Valley, MN  55427