On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Andy Warner wrote:
> Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> > Anyone with a hotspot that's open to the public please send me the
> > following:
> >
> > Street Address or GPS Coordinates
> > SSID
>
> 	N 44.922967 W 93.33327
> 	SSID: Open
> 	Externally mounted WAP11, chimney mounted 8dBi omni, 8' of 1/2" Heliax.
>
> I'm not completely sure I understand why we're re-inventing the
> mapping/cataloging wheel here. What were the issues with simply
> using an existing engine/database like the personal telco one ?

 Actually I believe Matt is planning to do drive-by's wherever possible,
and generate propogation maps.  This gives a more realistic idea of how
close we are to connecting between APs.
 We're not inventing any wheels here; we're simply using (and improving?)
the ones other people invented -- kismet & gpsdrive, et al -- which paint
a clearer picture.

     Jima