I have a hotspot up and running, albeit not one that has a particularly large range
as yet. Just this morning I got an SMC2682W up and running in "AP" mode (it is
designed primarily to be a bridge and I acquired it with the thought that some day
it might be). I'm using only the screw-in whip antenna that comes with it. The unit
is located on a second floor all-season porch on the back of my home. Range is just
a couple of houses (although I haven't finished testing) to a laptop running a
Compaq WL100 wireless card (thanks to the post alerting to availability on eBay).

Theoretically it is possible to place an antenna on my roof (I have a TV antenna
mounted on my chimney now). I am thinking it is more likely I will get some kind of
antenna mounted on an eave or on the window of the porch.

Ideas or offers of help will be welcomed.

P. Sheehy