On Fri, 3 May 2002, olearysheehy at goldengate.net wrote:
> I am going to be setting up an access point in the Midway area of St.
> Paul primarily for use by folks on our block club. I'm going to try
> and come to the meeting on Tuesday. I am interested in knowing whether
> anyone has recommendations for AP hardware that is
>
> a) stable and robust and
> b) relatively transparent ... easy to figure out and set up.

Well, if you want really good hardware, buy Cisco. *G*

Otherwise, Linksys's WAP11 V2.2 is supposed to be pretty decent.. they
ditch the USB port, set it up so that you admin it via a web interface (no
more SNMP.. *whine*), and it's got a 100mW transmitter per default (which
is actually clean, unlike the older ones that you had to hack to be
100mW).

> SeattleWireless has positive references to SMC on their site.
>
> Also, I am seeing some stuff on 802.11a protocol. Supposed to be
> faster. That's probably not going to matter given a cable internet
> connection. However, does anyone have any thoughts about whether this
> new protocol is more stable and robust than 802.11b? I've seen
> concerns raised about interoperability. My suspicion is that for a
> public site, it's better to choose a common denominator like 802.11b.

First -- there aren't any outdoor-approved antennas for 802.11a yet.

Besides that caveat, it's supposed to be able to do about as well as
802.11b, range-wise.. you do get high speeds when you're close, but once
you get a ways away, you get about the same speeds as 802.11b.

For what you're doing, 802.11b is the way to go -- that's what everyone
already has a card for.