olearysheehy at goldengate.net wrote:
> SETTING UP AN ACCESS POINT IN THE MIDWAY AREA
> [...]
> a)stable and robust and

Most of the commodity APs out there are all based on one
of a series of Atmel designs, there's not a lot to choose
between them as a rule (Dlink, SMC, Linksys all fall into
this category.)

> b) relatively transparent ... easy to figure out and set up.
>
> SeattleWireless has positive references to SMC on their site.
>
> Also, I am seeing some stuff on 802.11a protocol. Supposed to be faster. That's

Ignore 802.11a for a while. There are a number of issues, but
the killer for a neighborhood system like you're building is that
very few people have the client cards, and they're more expensive.

You might want to think about where you're connecting this
on your home network, and what access other people will have to
your computer.

I should be bringing along my mast mounted WAP-11, just for
grins. It increases the coverage area considerably over
either long co-ax runs or interior mounting.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634