I got a very good price on the Linksys router/access plus a PCMCIA card from
Amazon.com  This PCMCIA card doesn't have an external antenna, but Amazon
was running a special price, doesn't charge tax, and for that sale didn't
charge postage.  LinkSys makes a PCI card with external antenna, however.
Amazon also carries other brands so you probably can find something there.

eBay is a likely choice as well, but watch carefully to see which sellers
are established as retail dealers and what their shipping charges will be.
Avoid the personal sales for things like this (though I've had excellent
experiences buying from individuals on other kinds of stuff).  eBay has some
very good bargains on new WLAN stuff, but wasn't good for the LinkSys stuff
I wanted.  eBay is usually best for more mature products where sales demand
and distribution has leveled or the product may be in a sunset phase.  eBay
is NOT good for fad products like the LinkSys stuff I got.

Between those two sources, I'd bet you have all the useful bases covered.

I need a PCMCIA card with connector for an external antenna..  would that be
the Orinoco Gold from the U of M bookstore?  What's the U of M price?  FYI,
that is also available on eBay for about $66 plus $8 shipping.