Kent Ritchie wrote:
> I am trying to overcome a distance barrier within my apartment building
> and am wondering if anyone has an indoor omni antenna and pigtail to a
> Linksys BEFW11S4 that I could borrow for a night or two the first week in
> June.

I've got a 5db colinear you can borrow, and the RP-TNC pigtail
you'll need to hook it up. You're welcome to borrow it for a
couple of nights.

> I seem to be about 20 - 30 feet short of usable range.  Would putting a
> higher gain antenna on the AP most likely overcome this?  I would presume
> that it would boost power to the client, but would it also be more
> sensitive to the client's signal?  I am hoping to avoid putting an
> external antenna on my Orinoco Gold PC Card.

Any gain applies equally to transmit and receive, so you should be good
to go. The antennas in the PCMCIA cards are pretty awful, you may see the
best improvement by adding a small antenna to the orinoco. I've got
an orinoco pigtail you can borrow at the same time, so you can compare
and contrast. Something like the maxrad tape antenna works well:

http://www.maxrad.com/maxrad_products/broadband/2-6ghz/pdf/mig_tape_mount_omni_series.pdf
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634