On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 12:06, Andy Warner wrote:
> Mike Hicks wrote:
> > Do many people use Linksys WAP11 access points these days?  I was
> > playing with the Linux SNMP tools and finally managed to talk to the AP
> > we have at my place.  For whatever reason, the one we have doesn't like
> > to be snmpwalk-ed.
>
> There are several firmware revisions that react badly (read stop
> moving packets) if you snmpwalk them. Upgrading fixed these problems
> in the recent past.

Yeah, this one (hardware version 1.1, firmware 1.4i.1) doesn't stop
passing packets, the snmpwalk command just times out without getting any
response.

> A lot may depend on what version of the WAP11 you have. Pre 2.0 versions
> used the AT76C510, I believe 2.0 versions use a different chipset (but
> I can't find my notes now.)

I guess I've heard that the newer WAP11s only have a web interface
anyway.  Not sure if SNMP went away or not.

> > Anyway, I'm thinking of working on a small perl utility to access the
> > WAP11.  I was just curious if others would be interested in it or not..
>
> What functionality do you have in mind ?
>
> I've got a WAP11-on-a-stick here (ruggedised, mounted on the roof), remote
> control/logging from perl/cron might be useful.

Well, I'd like to get as much functionality as possible.  I know that my
wireless card has not played nicely with the AP in the past (strangely
seems to be negotiating a speed about ISDN level), so being able to
reset it without wandering into the closet would be nice.

Other than that, I think it would just be a neat thing to have ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   The Matrix has you.