Bob, this is a business proposal Joel is doing, not a Sunday experiment.
With no estimate of performance there is no case, and I think the basic info
looks bad for your suggestion of just bouncing off the tower.  We haven't
gotten anywhere close to an analysis of Joel's model yet because these
numbers (mine anyway) are just rough-order-of-magnitude estimates.

The water tower (assuming it's a cylinder - worse if a sphere) is
dispersive, so that "reflector" would look kinda like extending the path by
about 10-15 miles.  However, there would be SOME signal in the right
direction where there is none (ie, blockage) in the direct line of sight.
Hams usually can just use more power and swamp out loss with a 100 or more
watt transmitter and not be too worried about some holes in the coverage
pattern or fades on a bad day.