Fellow TCWUGer¹s:

I apologize for the length of this. Much has been happening, and I¹d like to
catch you up.

TCWUG Mission Statement
The organizing committee has finalized a mission statement and come to some
conclusions regarding the best next steps in formalizing the organization.

Our mission statement:
The Twin Cities Wireless Users Group will promote and develop open wireless
internet access in public spaces.

Regarding the possibility of becoming a registered non-profit and/or teaming
with an existing non-profit:

We¹ve decided the best course of action is to not formalize the organization
until we have a larger core membership and an active project/projects that
require more of a structure. To that end, we are working on a project (see
below) that will give us a concrete goal and an opportunity for everyone to
roll up their sleeves and participate.

Loring Park project:
Project Goal: The Twin Cities Wireless Users Group will design, build, and
maintain open wireless access in Loring Park and areas adjacent to the Park.

This project is designed to closely follow the Bryant Park project
(http://www.technolosophy.com/projects/bryantpark.html)  coordinated by
nycwireless (www.nycwireless.net). We aim to provide free public wireless
access in Loring Park, a large public park in downtown Minneapolis. Access
will not limited to TCWUG members, but will be open to anyone with a
wireless card. Our goal is to increase internet access, and to allow
citizens to utilize our great public spaces and still be connected to the
internet.

The project is still in the planning stages: attendees at the last meeting
(4/8/03) will remember we discussed different options for getting access to
the park (from a central point inside the park vs. several points outside
the park pointed in) and members are in process of determining the best
locations for sites in either of these scenarios. Members are also compiling
a list of the needed hardware and will post the needed items to the mailing
list for anyone who wants to donate their extra equipment. An opportunity to
do good and clean out your closets!

When the proper sites have been found and the hardware gathered, we will
have an install-fest to actually put the equipment in place. Once everything
is in place, we¹ll call on the membership to test the systems and identify
any bugs. Both of these activities will be posted to the list, and
everyone¹s participation will be greatly appreciated.

One of the goals of this project, along with providing internet access to
the people using the park, is to give the membership of TCWUG something to
³sink our teeth into² and turn our organization into something more than a
discussion group. We will, of course, continue to have interesting
discussions on various topics at our monthly meetings (see below).

Monthly Meetings:
I would like to start (re-start?) including guest speakers during the first
part of each meeting. To that end, I¹d like people to post topics of
interest to the list, and anyone with contacts/expertise in that area can
reply and/or email me directly to arrange a speaking date. My hope is that
these discussions will make the meetings more interesting and informative,
and will encourage a more regular attendance.

Thanks for bearing with me through this long screed. Any and all comments
welcome.

Ben
--
Ben Nelson