On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 01:35:16PM -0500, Andrew Zimmer wrote:
> I'm wondering if these things have been done already that TCWUG could
> potentially use.
>
> 1.  AP mapping software, something simple and not based on a GPS or
> longitude and latitude coordinates to map the locations.  It would be
> nice to setup the Loring park gateway with a web site that could provide
> the information to park visitors.

Well, if you haven't seen it, there's http://maps.tcwug.org, you can get
the GPS coordinates via mapquest, mappoint, or a lot of other places if
you need to add additional nodes there.

> 2.  A way to distribute AP configuration settings via internet.
> Something to deliver dhcpd, web caching, firewall, captive portal, VPN
> settings to TCWUG AP's.

I know someone was working on this for various platforms..

I had made a very small distro (linux) minus the web caching
(it ran off CD-ROM or floppy), and grabbed the config
settings from a central server. (un?)fortunately the work has been
duplicated elsewhere, and is more user friendly.

[snip 3, no real comments here]

> 4.  A good location for AP configuration documentation, something about
> various distributions and captive portals.  I know you can find the
> stuff on various sites but I have not found site with the Holy Grail of
> AP documentation.

personaltelco's wiki is the closest thing to a holy grail =)

> Also:
>
> Would it help to work on some TCWUG OS, captive portals, web caching,
> VPN, hardware, or antenna recommendations?
>
> Maybe we can get a sound off on what projects people are working on and
> if TCWUG can help.   Are there are projects people would like to see
> done?  I know I'd like to setup some open AP's by the light rail
> stations that are coming.
>
> I've been working on a hardware collection for TCWUG.  Currently, I have
> 5 Pentium 100 boxes and 1 Athlon 1100 box that are available to TCWUG
> projects.  Maybe we can create a TCWUG inventory page on the web site.

Nifty, the 5 pentiums would made great end nodes, while the athlon could
easily host a central database/site (unless it's easier to host it on
existing hardware -- depends on who has what when it comes to bandwidth)