I agree with Matthew, primarily for the following reason: if you think you
can make a case for government-run, free (or heavily subsidized) internet
access, then why not endorse the same thing with (at least) phone service,
cable TV, and cellular/pcs services? The only possible defense of this
approach is if a particular area completely lacks and options for
connectivity and no private provider will offer anything there. This
approach would be a VERY difficult justification for urban St. Paul.

You may not like your choices - Comcast, Qwest, Covad and perhaps a few
others - but the fact is that you have choices. Lawrence Lessig's argument
is hollow - he is implying that because the US didn't take the same approach
as many Asian countries (such as South Korea or Singapore, where average
home broadband speeds are almost 10Mbit and proportionately cost less than 1
MBit in the US), we are destined to wallow in Broadband purgatory and we
need local and state governments to 'save' us from the evil, greedy
corporations.

Statements like 'free wireless access increases the value of public spaces
just as, well, streetlamps do' - make me paint a mental picture of a whole
park full of people tethered to some kind of small, portable device, typing,
browsing or yammering away with little sense of their surroundings. Do you
think most people who would sit in a park to spend the entire time browsing
around on the internet even care they are sitting in a park? While my sense
of competitiveness tells me I would like bragging rights to cheap,
ubiquitous and thorough wireless broadband coverage, I have to remind myself
that it is not VITAL to our existence in the global economy.

Why do the cities want it? So they can have free, real-time database lookups
for their police forces' laptops as they ride around in their squads. Great,
what else? Is there something else *vital* to their core mission(s) that
require that kind of access?

Everyone has a different perspective, I understand this. Personally, I have
two a/b/g / bluetooth / 1xRTT enabled laptops, 4 cell phones (all with
bluetooth and at least EDGE or 1XRTT), a blackberry (hacked for dial-up
1XRTT access over bluetooth), a Win Mobile 2003 smartphone with bt, 802.11g
and quad-band gsm/gprs/edge. I just finished deploying a/b/g wireless to a
70,000 square foot building that includes multiple SSID's, LEAP and QoS for
Cisco Wi-Fi phones (which are pretty slick, btw). But you know what? You
have to unplug from time to time for your own sanity...

Just my $0.02.

-Jon
jsclark at visi.com