Josh Welch wrote:
> Looking for any thoughts, opinions or (prefereably) real world usage
> stories of wireless point to point gear. It would be for a short
> distance, pretty much across the street, but need it to be reliable and
> stock, don't really want to go the custom firmware on a WRT54G with a
> Pringles can antenna route.
>
> I'm looking at Proxim's 5.8 GHz gear, which claims a 20Mbps throughput,
> so I'm assuming I should be able to get a reliable 5 - 10. The
> QuickBridge 20 Wireless Outdoor Bridge seems like a good solution for a
> couple grand. How much would weather have an impact on something like this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/products_data_sheet09186a00802252e1.html

I've not actually used them, however, but I do like the radios (802.11g,
same as whats in the 1200 units I do have) and they are outdoor
mountable.  This is 802.11g 54mbps gear.  I'm pretty sure you can
configure the root bridge to choose a channel based on local
interference, but I'm not sure if it will change channels if it needs
to.  There is a command to ask what the interference is on all channels,
too, however. (dot11 dot11Radio 0 carrier busy, and then show dot11
carrier busy)

Output looks like this:
Frequency  Carrier Busy %
---------  --------------
    2412          1
    2417         10
    2422         23
    2427          5
    2432         12
    2437         18
    2442         16
    2447          8
    2452          2
    2457          3
    2462          4

The integrated antenna should 'just work' for across the street.  The
injectors for these units use an interesting dual-coaxial (75ohm
F-connector, even !?!!?) design that also brings ethernet to the unit.
You can ground at the unit and the entry point and the injector includes
lightning protection to protect the inside gear and power infrastructure.

My guess, for a bridge, is that you can just setup wpa-psk with a long
key for security.

Looks like $850 per unit with power injector (AIR-BR1310G-A-K9-R).  They
have a kit for doing the mounting and outdoor stuff, but the equipment
is mostly standard except for the mounting equipment, so you'll need one
of these too. (AIR-ACCRMK1300, $160-175?)

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org>