Another piece of equipment you guys should check out are the Ubiquity
Network Bullets.  It looks like a cable TV filter, but has PoE
ethernet on one end, antenna connector on the other, and runs linux.
Can be had for under $40, and they have 1 watt output models also.  DD-
WRT runs on them also if you don't want to use their software.  It's
weatherproof, so you just hang it off the back of the antenna, and run
a PoE cable up to it.  This reduces the loss in the antenna coax
because the run is so short.

http://www.ubnt.com/products/bullet.php

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, there is a program called PTP
LinkPlanner, it's free.  Motorola makes it for designing wireless
networks using their equipment.  But you can use it to calculate
antenna heights and line of sight.  It uses google maps and topology
data to gather a topographical cross section between each site so you
can calculate antenna heights.  It draws a little overhead map, and
even shows you the cross section of the topology for each PTP link.
It also calculates the azimuth and elevation for each directional
antenna you have reducing the amount of trial and error for aiming.

http://motorola.wirelessbroadbandsupport.com/support/ptp/linkplanner.php

I used this to design a wireless connection from my brother's house in
town in northern MN to 2 other houses out in the boonies.  I haven't
set it up yet, but we're going to use the Ubiquity bullets and rig
antenna towers using chain link fence top rail since it's dirt cheap
and we have the space to do guy wires.  One antenna must be 60ft, and
the other 2 are 40ft each.  The top rail comes in 20ft sections for
about $10 each.  It seems flimsy, but it works well with the proper
anchoring.  And it certainly beats spending hundreds of dollars for
each mast.

jay austad  |  612.423.1433  |  austad at signal15.com