Maybe lots of scattered topics...

Anybody got a working 1 mile link to an "uncooperative" free hotspot?
     where "uncooperative" means one which does not have a special outside or5 directional antenna at the hotspot location.

> > with the city of MSP wireless buildout complete, much of
> > the impetus for creation of a wifi overlay has gone away.

Is the MSP system of any use when visiting on business and not having a subscription?
Is coverage good enough so subscription by a frequent visitor to many locations would be assured of coverage most anywhere?
  (if not, then going to a hotspot where coverage is known is best for a business rendevous)
    ie, is it a free service, or just a presence that discourages free hotspots?
I've "seen" a rather weak signal when visiting, but been unable to connect.

Maybe one or more reports on actual performance, etc, would be interesting programs - or projects.

> > anyone working on anything cool?  my nerd life has narrowed in focus
> > to maximum function with minimal support headache, so i haven't had as
> > much time to devote to nerd projects but i'd love to hear what other
> > folks are working on.

Having some "I did it this way" simple how-tos on the website would be good.  Subnetting is one I need to get smarter on so I can
add a free WiFi internet-only access to an existing secured system in an adjacent locked office by putting a router there for the PC
"as it was" and the WiFi add-on.   That should allow the PC at that location to be on or off, and not affect the free WiFi in a
meeting room adjacent to that office.

Which routers can be made to bridge or extend by picking up one SSID and transmitting a different one using only one radio and
"internal smarts"?
Some have that as a built-in feature that allows extending a free hot spot to just-out-of-reach meeting place, and having the option
of a secured SSID at the meeting place.  For temporary setups, such a repeater could be in a lunchbox with some gel-cell batteries
and left out of sight for a couple of hours of meeting.

Not sure there's enough interest or enough such projects...

Chuck