Re: (ASCEND) Max 4000 reset to default settings?

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, James Fischer wrote:

> >> I just recently took a Max 4000 out of my stack and replaced it with
> >> a 4048. I used the same IP for the 4048 and it is currently in
> >> production. I used a cable that came with the 4048 to configure the 4048
> >> through the "control" port (DB-9). I then tried to use the same cable to
> >> configure the 4000 (9600-8-N-1) but after the POST passes it just waits at
> >> "Press Any Key..." with out any response to any keys I press. (Do you need
> >> different cables to configure the 4000 and 4048 through the "control"
> >> port???)
[snip]
>         Also, Are you sure that the Max is configured for 9600bps?
>         You may want to change the baud rate of your terminal
>         emulator to other settings, just to make sure that you
>         are not in a situation where POST runs and spits out
>         messages at some "default" baud rate, and then after
>         POST, the baud rate changes to whatever settings have
>         been loaded in the config (however, this is pure
>         speculation, not based upon any actual experience of
>         this sort with a Max, but instead based upon similar
>         scenarios with other equipment).
[snip]

The MAX bootup start off with the text "UART initialized" and a line of
periods at 9600bps, then switches to whatever rate is configured; the
"Press any key..." would be at what's configured.  I'd suggest checking
that flow control for the serial port is set to none as opposed to
Xon/Xoff or hardware (RTS/CTS).  The same cable can be used for the 4000
as the 4048.

I suppose it's possible that one of the pins in the 4000's port might have
broken, in which case I'd suggest getting it repaired.  The best thing to
try would be to hook the cable up to the 4048, get the configuration
screens working properly, and then move the cable over to the 4000 without
closing your terminal app.  If it still doesn't work, try hitting ctrl-q
and then enter.  Failing that, a repair is definitely in order.

melange@yip.org - For external use only.