Re: (ASCEND) NAT question

At 11:08 AM 2/2/98 +0800, sam wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    It has been mentioned in the mailing list & documentation that for the
>NAT to work on the customer's LAN, their IP address needs to contain at
>least three octets.

That was an old restriction related to the way it was implemented wrt FTP.

No such restriction exists in current (I'm running 5.1Ap6 and 6.0b2 with
addresses 10.20.x.x on my home network).

>What happens if my customer is currently using an
>address like 10.10.10.0/24 for their own private network, between A and B
>sites, but wishes to link up to the Internet using a P50 with NAT on site A
>and not changing the current
>IP address setup.

Should have no problems, as that's pretty much how I'm setup. I have it that
way for a different reason - my IP address in the office LAN is 10.20.10.x
and when I go home, to avoid changing stuff around, I keep the same address
(I use a portable/laptop). I have the P75 IP address set to the same address
as my default gateway is in the office too. NAT takes care of all the rest.

>    Would the alternative be using a proxy running either on Unix or Windows
>NT?

Not necessary.

Kevin