Re: (ASCEND) Cisco MAX

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 07, 1998 at 06:28:45PM +0100, Horst Haag wrote:

> I am new to ascend and radius and I am trying to connect
> a cisco 1003 to the MAX(PRI) over a isdn dialup connection.

Since IOS 11.2 this works flawless.

> The authentication is radius.

Umm ;->

You mean: The auth is CLID, or PAP, or CHAP. Whether Radius, NVRAM or
the fortunetellers crystal sphere is the source of the auth info makes
no difference. Anyway, all of the above work. CLID since ages, PAP/CHAP
requires IOS 11.2 for flawless interoperability.

> The cisco dialing up the MAX works fine, but when

Great, so you don't have the pre 11.2 problem with the cisco wanting
the Max tho authenticate him when the cisco calls it. So you either
use CLID or the "callin" modifier to ppp auth pap/chap.

> MAX calls the cisco, the cisco accepts the call but
> calls back on b2 and tries to authenticate itself with
> radius but this does not work because an valid connection
> has already been made.

Ciscos like that way of saying "You configured me wrong, but I won't
tell you why" ;->

> My question is:
>
> - has somebody out there had a similar problem and
>   what is the reason for this behaviour ?

I've seen it. The reason is simply that the Cisco doesn't know that the
peer calling in is the same peer that is to be called out. This is the
evil of a non profile based way of setting up things Cisco traditionally
uses and a big advantage you get on the Ascends.

You probably wrote:

dialer map ip x.x.x.x <dial #>

This is correct but missing the abovementioned info. Try

dialer map ip x.x.x.x name <calling #> <dial #>

for CLID or

dialer map ip x.x.x.x name <remote-name> <dial #>

for PAP/CHAP.

> - can somebody supply me a sample config for this
>   configuration ?

No, sorry - these Ciscos are hanging out at customers sites. The only
Cisco stuff we use is for backbone routing ;)

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |

Follow-Ups: References: