Re: (ASCEND) linux authentication trouble

On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 03:53:42AM +0900, ukeiko wrote:

> ############## Mini-com script at the max 4000
> ATDT 555-1212
> CONNECT 38400
> Welcome to anynet
>
> <a delay of about 5 seconds>
>
> System Password: systemmaintancepassword
>
> Login: joeuser
> Password: joeuserpassword
>     Entering PPP Session.
>     IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>     MTU is 1524.
> ~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }

Oops ;->

1) The delay is the PPP timeout you can set in TServ options, but 5 to 10
   seconds is a good value. It is not that critical any more because the
   Max can still return to inband (LCP) negotiations even if it already
   had dumped out a prompt, but to not mess up clients I still recommend
   a few secs. You can _instantly_ proceed to a prompt by sending a CR.
   The Max is just sitting and waiting for you to eventually start LCP
   negotiations.

2) The System Password is probably caused by someone having set a TS
   password in TServ options. Empty it out, but set:
   Initial Scrn=Menu
   Toggle Scrn=No
   Security=Full
   to get a somewhat secure setup.

3) You should _definately_ drop the stoneaged scripting around the
   prompts and authenticate with LCP as soon as you have a CONNECT.
   In other words, your chat script ends on CONNECT and proceeds to
   LCP negotiations thereafter. Thats all of the "magic" that makes
   Windoze users think dialup is a simple thing. Scripting around
   prompts is a relict from times where the NAS was a Unix box with
   a pile of modems but even for this setup instant LCP is available
   today - have a look on mgetty with AutoPPP.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |

Follow-Ups: References: