(ASCEND) linux authentication trouble

Ok, I have what should be a simple question for the Ascend mailing list.
I do pro-bono work for a local ISP.  I wasn't around for the
installation
of their Ascend Max 4000 and the last few months have been my first
exposure
to this piece of gear.  From what I understand Ascend pretty much did
what
it took to get the gear up and running, but the configuration hasn't
been
tweaked the way it should by a knowledgable tech.

Anyway, I'm trying to debug a problem one of our linux users is having
dialing
up.  I've isolated the problem down to the fact that the Max is
prompting
for for the low level, system maintance password.  I used mini-com to
capture
the session at a Max 4000 (which is giving us the probem) and at a
Pipeline
box (which is not causing a problem).

One of the things that I noticed is that there is a delay (about 5
seconds)
between the first time I get a connect on the max 4000 and the prompt
for
the maintance password appears.  Perhapse the client (linux) should be
sending
some authentication information initially to prevent a timeout to the
system
maintance password prompt, but I'm not 100% sure, as I don't have a
convient
tool and am not familiar enough with the Max to monitor the connection
between
a Win95 box and the Max to see what's happening with those
authentications.
I've read the appropriate RFCs, but the number of "Should"s in the
specification
leave room for differences between the way Win95 boxes and linux boxes
might
handel initial authentications.  Someone Please enlighten me if I'm way
off
course here.

This had to be a no-brainer (If I only had a...) problem and is probably
a linux
configuration problem, but I am a little worried that the Max offers the
maintance
login prompt to any old user who dials us up and waits.  Am I paranoid,
or is this
normal configuration practice?

I'm also having some trouble connecting a yamaha rt100i (isdn router)
router to
the same Max and, although I can't monitor the connection/authentication
process
as closely as I can with linux, I belive the problem to be related.

I would appreciate any suggestions on configuration items in the
max/radius
database that might need to be changed/added.  Additionally, I would
like to
know what other people used to debug/monitor initial connection problems
other
than what the radius database reports to syslog.

Thanks, in advance, for your time.

############## Mini-com script at the max 4000
ATDT 555-1212
CONNECT 38400
Welcome to anynet

<a delay of about 5 seconds>

System Password: systemmaintancepassword

Login: joeuser
Password: joeuserpassword
    Entering PPP Session.
    IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    MTU is 1524.
~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }

############## Mini-com script at the Pipeline
ATDT 555-2121
CONNECT 38400
** Ascend Pipeline Terminal Server **

Login: joeuser