(ASCEND) Ascend radiusd and USR TCR - radius accounting

Odd question:

We use Ascend (free) radiusd, and lots of Ascends. We've done
some hacking to radiusd. We also use a few USR total control racks.
I'm trying to get the USR/3Com boxes to talk to the same radius
accounting server (Ascend code base) as the USR boxes talk to,
however the Ascend code says "bad authenticator". I know the secret
is correct in the USR boxes as they wouldn't (radius) authenticate
users otherwise. It appears that the MD5 calculation is failing,
probably because of protocol mismatches. Is there a known workaround
for this, or will I have to retrofit hacks to another version
of radius accounting (uggh)?

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)