Re: (ASCEND) p25

At 18:11 1998/02/11 -0500, Leon McCalla wrote:
>I have a user with a P25 that wants to connect to our service. I think he
>has the bridge because he is requesting a static IP. We don't normally give
>static IPs to dial-up customers so i am wondering why he is claiming that it
>won't work with NAT? According to my potential customer, he would have to
>upgrade his pipeline to do routing and once it is upgraded, he can only use
>it with one machine ever.

sure, there are two models of the p25 sold now,
one supports a single user via NAT (P25-PX),
the other supports 4 via bridging (P25-FX).

if he has an older P25, sometimes called a P25 "classic"
it can support either IP or IPX routing,
the IP model used to have a part number "P25-1UBRI-2"
and supported any number of IP routed clients,
I think there was also a model of the P25-FX that
supported 4 clients with IP routing as an optional add-on.

Ascend used to offer an "upgrade" from the P25 classic,
to a P25-PX (also called a side-grade or a down-grade by some)
I can't find the version but there WAS a software release for
P25 classic that supported NAT... 4.6Ai?? 4.6Bi??

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D