(ASCEND) Pipeline-85 busy signals

I recently installed a Pipeline-85 at a friend's house.  He only has
two pairs of phone wires coming in from the street and therefore
requires full use of the analog ports (his teen-aged daughter lunged
for her phone as soon as we brought up dial-tone).

Anyway, when one data channel and one analog channel is in use, a call
to the other number just rings, i.e. there is no busy signal as would
be expected.  Is there any way to get this to work?  Did I miss
something in the manual or was the line provisioned incorrectly?

Thanks,
John