(ASCEND) Re: OSPF on Ascend 4000's

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, James Smallacombe wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Jim Howard wrote:
>
> > ascend% sh ospf int
> > Area       IP Address    Remote Addr   Type  State    Cost Pri DR          BDR
> > 0.0.0.0    10.142.29.2  10.142.29.2  Bcast DR Other 1    0  10.142.29.1 None
>
> Question: Wouldn't it be better to have the Max as the Backup Designated
> Router instead of having none?  That's how mine config'd itself, so I'm
> curious...
>
> > ascend% sh ospf n
> > Area       Interface     Router Id     Nbr IP Addr   State      Mode   Pri
> > 0.0.0.0    10.142.29.2  10.71.7.9    10.142.29.1  Full       Slave  1
>
> Does this mean the neighbor (Cisco) is the slave, or the Max?  I wish
> Ascend's command line were as rich as the Cisco's on stuff like
> this...mine made itself "master"....I have no idea how to change that, or
> what exactly it means...

That is why I say Ascend OSPF is still broken, it becomes the master,
ignoring my core routers priority of 10, it sees it as a priority of 10,
but the MAX still becomes the master on its network segment, breaking my
defaultless network, well not breaking it, but I don't want everything
pointing default at a MAXes little 10mbit ethernet port, ouch!!

Oh well, 2 more naked PM3's and that 4004 will be a door stop in about a
month.  No I do not want to sell it, I want to use it as the door stop it
was made to be, so don't ask if I'll unload it to you.