(ASCEND) Could not negotiate a compatible ..... (you know what follows)

I noticed that this problem has caused a lot of discussions.

Has anybody found the REAL cause for this?

I read that the problem is on the client side (wrong order of network component installation, should reboot the computer, etc.), but I am not sure if this is true.

Here is another aspect.

The problem does not happen if I am the first user connecting to this profile. The problem happens if one ore more users are already connected. If I then throw out all users already connected to this profile, or just reset the MAX4000, I can connect without any problem!!

So if the problem really is on the client side, why does this procedure help?

Can someone please tell me how to fix this annoying "effect"?

Thanks

Hubert