Re: (ASCEND) Could not negotiate a compatible ..... (you know what follows)

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Hubert Felber wrote:

> I noticed that this problem has caused a lot of discussions.
>
> Has anybody found the REAL cause for this?

We have found that the usual cause of this is clients who have had their TCP/IP
and/or dial-up networking components of Win95 installed from a different
version as the rest of the system.

This happens a lot here because smaller vendors often install from their own
CD, but include a different one with the computer.

<rant>
I think that dropping an obvious version number from Win95 was one of the most
stupid things MS has done. Yes, I know there are version numbers printed on the
CD (in very small type), but average consumers don't know and vendors don't
care.
</rant>

We usually recommend that the customer go hassle their vendor for the correct
copy of Win95. If this is impossible, you can sometimes coerce it to work by
removing and reinstalling all network components *and* dial-up networking.
Service packs can also help.

Regards,
Damien

Follow-Ups: References: