Re: (ASCEND) Connection problems and Init strings

Brian Krabach wrote:

> When we first started up as an ISP years ago, we were using USR Sportster
> analog modems.  We quickly got the habit of ensuring users had an init
> string set up for their modem that was optimized for connecting to our USR
> equipment.  Over a year ago, we upgraded to MAX 4004's and TNT's, and in the
> process, received a high volume of connection problems, which we have always
> been able to resolve with setting up or changing the init string on the
> users modems.  In the past months, we have received more and more feedback
> from customers as how they can connect to AOL, AT&T, other competition, etc,
> (providers using equipments other than Ascend) without changing init strings
> and everything works great.  When we first brought this up with Ascend, the
> response was the init strings, but I'm wondering if everyone else is
> experiencing this or if we were simply 'fed a line' to get us off their
> backs.  We currently keep a list of init strings available for our users to
> check when they have connection problems, is this what everyone else is
> doing as well?
>
> ********************************
> Brian Krabach
> GlassCity Internet, Inc.
> Vice President Engineering
> ********************************

   We just switched to a max4048 in the last 10 days.  We also switched
from USR analog modems. It has pretty much been hell around here ever
since. From complaints of being unable to connect to unable to STAY
connected.

THIS IS NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED!!

All the sales hype about this unit turns out to be BS !!

You mentioned you had a list of INIT strings for your users. If this is
what it comes down to, so be it, but can we have a copy of the strings?
I'm desperate and will be happy to help our poor users set up new INIT
strings rather than lose them.

ASCEND ARE YOU LISTENING??

Rich (wishing we had gone with the livingston PM3's) Eicher
system admin
DVR, Inc.