Re: (ASCEND) cascading routers?

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 dvoss@touchbase.co.uk wrote:

> I want to run my leased-line internet access  and my remote analogue
> dial-in through a single Ascend box in order to utilise the Firewall
> capabilities of the box.   My ISP insists on providing his own Cisco 2500

And of course, you can't use the Cisco for firewall duty.

> Can I cascade the routers by plugging the 2500 into the V.35 port on a MAX?

No.  Well, you probably could; you would have to have a cable made.  Just
like null modem cables, you have to have a crossover, and none of the
stock cables that I know of do this.  And with V.35, there's the timing
issues as well.

And finding a place that can find a DB-44 connector for the Max is always
tricky. :)

> If so, is it simply a synchronous serial x.21 to v.35 connection?  Is there
> an easier way using a hub and AUI to 10BaseT connectors?

The trouble here is that you end up tying up the ethernet port on your
MAX.  If you only need the MAX purely as a WAN switch this is irrelevant,
but if you want it to route your ethernet too, you won't be able to use it
as a firewall.

Maybe you should get a 486 and run Linux or FreeBSD on it.  Instant
firewall (and more powerful than you might get with the MAX).  It would
probably be cheaper than having the appropriate V.35 cable made!  :)