(ASCEND) P50 w/ NAT problem

Pipeline 50 using NAT with Static IPs at 7 workstations.
Problem: everything works great, but then all traffic stops.
If the connection is hung up and then automatically dialed
by a workstation browser, all is fine again until all traffic
sudden stops again - could stop in an hour maybe 5 hours.

This was happening every half hour or so until Ascend tech
support recommended upgrading to 5.1Ap8. This setup is for a new
client and he's not happy but understanding in that I have
told him we can do away with NAT and assign a subnetted
range of IP addresses like I have done many times and have
had no problem such as this. Any help appreciated. Thanks!