Re: (ASCEND) Ascend bashing- actually these guys aren't all that bad

I have to concur with Eric's statements.  I run a medium-sized network
with over 40 Ascend MAXen and they all perform very well.  Other than some
glitches with code upgrades (ie: functionality being different on
routing entries from 5.0Ap36 to 5.0Ap42), I've been very happy with
our Ascend products.

I wonder if some of the difficulty others experience may be caused
by configuration issues?  Or perhaps they are using the MAX for
tasks for which it was not designed?  I use all my MAXen for
switched dialup access (ISDN or modem), and run RIPv2 back to a
Cisco core router.  Rather than have the MAX perform every task
(terminal server, router, etc), I let it do the one thing it does well.

*shrug*

Just my $0.02 worth on Ascend products.

At 10:26 PM 2/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>For all the Ascend bashing I've done with the problems with modem
connections early on, and their Radius program, Access Control, which
leaves a lot to be desired by Winnt users, I have to admit the MAX4048 I
bought back in June last year has performed like a trooper. No down time,
and outside the month or so I dealt with the irritation of the memory leak
last year, the system has operated almost worry free.